TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Public Servant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Public Servant Login/Join 
posted
I think 1.07 applies to federal employees as well.

Defendant is stopped for DWI. He shows a badge and claims he is with Secret Service. He isn't. Does he fall under 37.11 impersonating public servant? I think 1.07 stating "an officer, employee, or agent of government;" clearly covers this guy.

Any ideas?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at the definition of government in 1.07

Posts: 1 | Location: Houston,Texas,USA | Registered: September 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How on earth do you find out if someone is in the secret service or not?

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In this case the arresting agency contacted a secret service agent (because they need to investigate these type of occurrences in case someone has ill will towards one of the Secret Service protectees). They determined the badge was one of the special inaugural comemoratives and no longer in use, but they also could not determine who he got it from.

Terry, thanks. Boy, do I feel dumb. Who woulda thought Government would be defined? Looks like a no.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about a violation of federal law?

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking 37.12, false id as a peace officer, but secret service agents aren't peace officers in 2.12. Isn't this a federal offense of some sort? Refer it to the local US attorney. Oops, Janette beat me to it. Red Face

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it would be a federal offense. But they chose not to prosecute. I guess because he wasn't threatening anyone with the badge, just trying to beat a dwi.