TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    incomplete miranda
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

incomplete miranda Login/Join 
posted
if an interpreter gives the warnings to a spanish speaking defendant while reading them from the form, but misses a few words and says that he has the right to have an attorney appointed and to speak to that attorney during and after questioning, but doesn't tell him anything about speaking to an attorney prior to questioning, is that substantial compliance?

Posts: 100 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that is substantial compliance. My assistant prosecutor, who is out of the office this afternoon, wrote a brief on that about a year ago. Next week I will have her reply to you about this.

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nlostracco:

I have a brief on substantial compliance. Call me at 325-235-8630 so we can talk.

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks so much for the response.....the defendant pled to 30 TDC this morning. guess he thought it was substantial compliance too!

Posts: 100 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post