TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Digital in-car video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital in-car video Login/Join 
posted

Question:
I'm preparing an upcoming presentation at the Digital Evidence School. I'm curious.....what brand or systems do your police agencies in your area/counties use for digital in-car video?

I've listed the ones most commonly used around here. Please weigh in and let's see what's most common around Texas.

If your system(s) aren't listed, please post directly with the name or brand for reference.

Thanks for your help!
Wink

Choices:
Watchguard
L3 Communications
Integrian
Panasonic Arbitrator
CoBan

Posts: 90 | Location: Georgetown, TX | Registered: October 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use the Digital Eyewitness from Kustom Signals, it is setup to auto transfer to our video server when the patrol units are in the PD parking lot. The video files are searchable/viewable from several terminals in the dept.

Posts: 95 | Location: Marble Falls, TX USA | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barry,

Thanks for the reply! What format does it export in and are your prosecutors able to edit/redact as needed easily within the system or do they need separate software?

Posts: 90 | Location: Georgetown, TX | Registered: October 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It exports to a *.wmv file and can be edited with any video editing software if needed. We routinely just send the video in a ready-to-play DVD as the system comes with Nero.

I haven't had anyone ask about editing so I'm guessing they have someone that does it at the DA's office. I'm guessing you could even use windows movie maker if you needed.

The nice thing about the wireless download is that it is totally hands off for the officers. The server is secured in our server room which is access limited. The server has several security features so file integrity is not an issue.

[This message was edited by bgreer on 04-27-10 at .]

Posts: 95 | Location: Marble Falls, TX USA | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't answer with just one. To my knowledge, we have Arbitrator, Insight Technologies, L3 Communications (BOO), Coban, and probably others.

Mamas, don't let your agencies purchase L3 systems! I cannot stand their proprietary package, with its poor video quality and total lack of ability to redact. But the vendor doesn't care; they just want to make the sale to the PDs.

I'm glad this will be a topic at the seminar!

Posts: 114 | Location: Bryan, Texas, USA | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uses Integrian.

Posts: 42 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: June 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our PD is going to Safety Vision. Haven't used it yet, so no opinions on it, but high expectations from what I've been told!

I agree with L3, used that in the past and it was TERRIBLE.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone else? Lots of views on the thread, but not many votes on the different systems. Does that mean you are still getting VHS? Wink

If your county/area has a mixture of systems, post a reply with what you have and skip the poll!

I will be attempting to de-mystify the most common systems so let me hear from you..... thanks to those that have replied so far!

posted Hide Post
Sugar Land uses Digital Eyewitness from Kustom Signals.

Posts: 11 | Location: Sugar Land, Tx, USA | Registered: August 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post