TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Compelling release of computer passwords
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compelling release of computer passwords Login/Join 
posted

Question:
Is a court order compelling a person to reveal his password so that his computer files can be opened a potential violation of his right against self-incrimination? So a Washington court must decide:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/15/AR2008011503663.html

JAS

Choices:
yes
no
yes & no
other considerations apply

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is Boucher right? Seems important to consider that he put in the password for border patrol agents while at the border and allowed them to look at password-protected parts of his machine.

Another question is: if this goes to the Supreme Court, will they resolve the safe combination/safe key divide in the case law? (combination = contents of one's mind & thus testimonial; key = not & not testimonial)

Posts: 13 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: January 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Cory, how're things up there?

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems important to consider that he put in the password for border patrol agents while at the border and allowed them to look at password-protected parts of his machine.

I do not believe that this is relevant, and from looking at the court's opinion, it is actually unclear as to whether or not this is what he actually did. But for the sake of argument, let us assume that he actually did that, I don't believe that it matters.

Here is why: say the cops come to my house and find me standing over a dead body in the driveway. I tell the responding officer that I killed him. Say I told him this after Miranda warnings given. Later, after being taken to the PD or whatever, another officer comes to me and asks what happened. I tell him that I decline to answer his questions. Is that not allowed under Miranda, that a suspect has the right to refuse answering questions at any time during the process?

Of course it is! The fact that a suspect might have previously admitted to wrongdoing in no way, shape, or form precludes him or her from exercising his Miranda rights later on.

Realistically, it is kind of stupid to now expect that even with a Grand Jury summons that the guy is going to give up his password. All he has to say is "I don't remember it" and what are they going to do? That is all ANYBODY has to say when confronted with a similar situation "I do not remember the password."

On a side note, I really bet that this case has greatly increased the sales for PGP. After all, what better advertising can they have? Here the U.S. Government, with all its super secret, super powerful computers, has been unable for MORE THAN ONE YEAR to crack this encryption. The product sells for around $150 and is very easy to install and use. How many millions upon millions of tax dollars have been spent on NSA supercomputers and now we know that a simple, easy to use $150 program cannot be beat by them.

Posts: 234 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aren't the legal standards for reviewing searches at the border different than regular search standards, particularly because additional State interests apply to border searches and those interests don't apply to regular searches of the home?

Posts: 62 | Registered: March 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post