TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Poop DNA aka Fecal Forensics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poop DNA aka Fecal Forensics Login/Join 
posted
DA bolsters rape case with DNA from dog feces
DUMAS, Texas - A Texas Panhandle man was convicted of rape and sentenced to three life terms in prison after tests showed dog feces found on a man's shirt matched DNA from the victim's pet.

Details.

What other unusual places have you found and used DNA?

[This message was edited by JB on 12-12-08 at .]

[This message was edited by JB on 12-17-08 at .]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
That's the best title you could come up with for this thread?

Here I am, trying to teach my two-year-old that "the p-word" is not suitable for dinner table conversation, and JB throws this in my face (figuratively, not literally -- see the "A Frog is a Deadly Weapon" thread for that variation).

Razz

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck on that, Shannon. My sweet, beautiful, precious, and even well-mannered (really!) little angel of a three-year old daughter has lately taken to breaking out in a fit of giggles and saying, "Mommy, I farted at you!"

Posts: 102 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I was doing good. My first assistant suggested to me recently I should work on reducing my use of profanity.

Shannon, I'm flattered to hear that your two-year old reads my posts. Have her give me a call for some good fart jokes.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This article should also be highlighted in the thread about parolee violations.

And not to worry - this is just the start of fart and poop jokes for all of you. My 10-year-old-as-of-yesterday stepson has a younger brother (6 1/2) and 3 stepbrothers (ages 10, 9, 8). There is no shortage of jokes about pooping or farting at that house.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm willing to change the topic name.

Suggestions?

Dog Doody DNA?

posted Hide Post
A recent case out of Houston pointed out the need for continued education in DNA related cases. Seems that the rape kit in a case was not tested before a trial held in this century (meaning, well after DNA testing was well-known).

The defense attorney claimed he didn't know the kit existed. The prosecution says the offense report, which was available to the defense, made it clear that biological evidence existed.

Both sides apparently opted to go to trial without pursuing any scientific testing. Eyewitnesses testified against the defendant. Now, the rape kit shows that semen on the victim's clothing belongs to someone else. While that doesn't always prove innocence, both sides are accepting that inference in the unique facts of their case.

When teaching on this subject for the National College of District Attorneys, I have been recommending that prosecutors (1) seek testing if the biological material could plausibly provide an important link in the evidence or (2) get an explanation on the record why the defense expressly chooses not to pursue testing ("It would only likely prove my guy did it.")

This example from Houston suggests that testing should take place regardless of the feelings of both sides when it could be determinative of the outcome of the case. Even if the defendant had passed on testing, a test now would prove he was actually innocent.

So, does your office have a policy on how to (1) provide discovery of evidence that could be tested and (2) making a record of decisions to test or not to test by the defense?

posted Hide Post
Shannon,

There are some battles you can't really ever win. Since my 15 year old (as of yesterday) isn't supposed to use profanity, "poop" is an acceptable 4 letter word. And she's a girl!!!

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone think CSI-FF would have a large viewing audience?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A trail of tobacco spit has led investigators to a suspect in at least five burglaries across eastern Oklahoma, police said.

Randy Lee Shoopman Jr., 33, was charged with 11 counts of second-degree burglary after a sample of his DNA matched that taken from expectorant left behind at the scene of several burglaries in Oklahoma, said officer Brad Robertson, a spokesman for the Tahlequah police department.

Details.