TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Obstruction/Retaliation Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obstruction/Retaliation Question Login/Join 
posted
I have a case in which the defendant wrote a letter from jail to a third party, requesting him to "get rid" of my victim. somehow, my victim intercepted the letter. It's unclear to me whether under the Obstruction part of the statute the threat needs to be communicated to the victim. It seems clear that the threat must be communicated under the REtaliation portion but it's unclear under Obstruction. Any thoughts?

Posts: 5 | Registered: October 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience regarding both is that the threat has to be communicated to the victim. I have investigated many of those type cases with similar results.

Posts: 4 | Location: Waller County Criminal District Attorney's Office | Registered: November 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The threat doesn't necessarily need to be communicated to the victim, at least in retaliation cases. See LeBleu v. State, 192 S.W.3d 205 (14th Dist. - Houston, 2006). May give you a different view.

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post