TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    idea for new offense--frivolous post conviction DNA request
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

idea for new offense--frivolous post conviction DNA request Login/Join 
posted
We've been inundated in frivolous post-conviction DNA requests. A number of granted tests have come back confirming the identity of the defendants, ususally in the range of 1 in X trillion, etc.

What about a new offense that makes it a 3rd degree felony if your post conviction DNA test confirms that you committed the crime?

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why isn't it aggravated perjury?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our experience so far has been that compliance with Article 64.01(a) has been sketchy, making it difficult to craft a perjury charge. We are pursuing some in that vein.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the affidavit, at a minimum, have to make a statement of innocence? That should be pretty clearly false based on DNA that matches. Or, you could ask the judge to have the defendant supplement the affidavit with additional details before making a reply. Or, you could give the defendant a hearing and have him testify.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just got one of these recently. Is there a resident Guru around these parts whom I may call and ask a few questions?

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think he posted a remark right above yours, Philip ... Wink

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For advice, call Doug Arnold at 512-943-1234. He handles the DNA motions for our office.

posted Hide Post
Philip, we've worked on about 300 of 'em here in Dallas. 214-653-3625.

posted Hide Post
Thank you. I'm in Jury Trial next week, so I believe the other assistant in our office will be handling this matter now. I'll forward those two numbers on to him.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post