Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Career change Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
I know that there are quite a few prosecutors who used to work as peace officers, but does anyone one know an officer who used to be a prosecutor?

Here's an example of one in California:

New Sacramento cop trades DA's office desk for life on streets

By Kim Minugh

Saturday, Nov. 29, 2008

When he left the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office to become a cop, Andy Hall said he was escaping a desk job for excitement, adrenaline and a chance to impact people's lives.

His parents wanted his head checked.

"We wanted to have him committed," Wanda Hall, 56, said of her "baby boy."

"We thought he'd lost his mind."

[click on link above for full article]

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I admit I've thought about it a couple times. I've even mentioned it to a couple of officers I've worked with and they were very encouraging.

The big pay cut, the hours, and the fact that I'm not in super shape have always put those thoughts to rest.

Eric Mountin, who is now an AUSA in Florida, left the Dallas DA's office for a couple years to become an FBI agent. Terry Keel was a prosecutor and police officer who was elected sheriff. Those are the only folks I'm aware of.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For younger prosecutors in smaller offices becoming an officer might involve a salary increase.

Posts: 42 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: June 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall a defense attorney in Fort Worth who had been a peace officer before he took to the law and then gave up the law to return to the streets. It has been so long, I don't recall his name. I believe he reverted in order to collect a full pension, not for the excitement or pay.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The famous and very indefatiguable (sp?) Joe Hall. Good prosecutor. Good cop. Good fellow.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very good friend of mine, who occasionally lurks on this website, was -- in his former professional life -- one of the finest courtroom felony prosecutors it has ever been my honor to see at work. He now serves the public as an agent witht the FBI. He is stationed in a large northeastern city. Though he is a native of Boston (Mass., not New Boston, Tex.), his last postcard to me noted simply, though poignantly, "I'm surrounded by yankees. Send help."

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
General Pemberton said the same thing at Vicksburg.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bob Cole>
posted
Texas Ranger pitchers often say the same thing with the bases loaded......76 more days until pitchers and catchers report to Spring training!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
... and only 183 days until the Rangers' abysmal starting pitching begins another 0-for-June, allowing the Angels (and possibly the As) to initiate the process of leaving them in a double-digit standings deficit. Not that the Astros will fare much better. But I don't think either of their rosters sport a former prosecutor. Maybe that's the problem. League minimum salary would be a substantial raise, though. Food for thought.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Houston Police Sergeant came to work as a prosecutor at the Harris County D.A.'s office several years ago. He stayed about a year and went back to the Houston Police Department. I believe that he is now a Lieutenant.

I think he went back because he made more money as a police sergeant than he did as a starting prosecutor.

Posts: 32 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: February 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post