TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Protesting parole
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Protesting parole Login/Join 
posted
A mother sentenced to 20 years in prison for starving her weeks-old son to death in 2004 has been released from prison after serving seven months.

Details.

[I strongly believe prosecutors should remain active in a case long after the sentence has been imposed, making sure that the sentence is properly carried out as imposed by the judge or jury. This case provides an example of what can happen when no one continues to speak out for the child who died a horrible death.

How does your office handle parole protests?]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had success with writing letters to parole authorities. In select cases I try to write the letter upon conviction so that it immediately goes in the defendant's file. In those cases it does seem that the defendant has served a greater portion of the sentence than they otherwise would. Of course, it's all speculative.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't you imagine the parole board might consider a starvation case better from the victim's point of view if they were provided with a photo of the victim, dead and alive?

We produce packets of information that provide details and images, along with letters, to better educate the parole board on serious cases (defined as sentences of 20 years or more and crimes of violence).

We definitely see a difference in the parole outcomes.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post