TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    False Statement to Obtain Property or Credit (PC 32.32)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

False Statement to Obtain Property or Credit (PC 32.32) Login/Join 
posted
Scenario: Defendant pawns a stolen diamond ring worth $2,000 and receives $49.50. There is insufficient evidence to prove that he was the thief, so there is only a viable charge under 32.32. But, the penalty is tied to "the value of the property or the amount of credit" involved. Do I have a Class C Misdemeanor or a State Jail Felony? Inquiring minds want to know.

I think I just figured it out. The penalty relates to what the defendant is trying to obtain, property or credit. Ergo, it's a Class C. Never mind.

[This message was edited by Rick Miller on 03-05-03 at .]

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realize that no one expects to get close to fair market value from the pawn broker, but maybe the facts would support a finding that the suspect exercised control over the ring knowing it was stolen by another. Really, why else would you risk losing a $2000 ring for less than $50 unless you knew the merchandise was "hot". Also, I would bet he never returned to redeem the ring. As I understand the case law you need not prove who the other person was, only that the ring was stolen and no reason to believe the suspect was the original mis- appropriator.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post