TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Unavailable chemist for DWI blood draw
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unavailable chemist for DWI blood draw Login/Join 
posted
I have a DWI case set for trial, where pretty much the entire case hinges on the lab report, and the chemist who analyzed it now works out of state.

I've spoken to another chemist at the lab who is available to testify about their record keeping, and I originally thought I could get the lab report in as a business record and then have the alternate chemist discuss the results. As I've looked into this more, I think I have a problem with chain of custody. Caselaw states that we must prove the beginning and the end of custody, and the only evidence I might be able to get in regarding custody at the back end would be a lab receipt showing that the lab got it in the mail, and I'm doubtful that will be sufficient.

I'm running out of time here. Anybody dealt with this before or have any suggestions?

Posts: 3 | Registered: July 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After digging back in old posts, I found this:

https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/f...7098965/m/6761077291

If anybody has updated information since that post, please advise.

Posts: 3 | Registered: July 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safest thing to do: Have your blood re-tested by a current employee. We have had MANY of these issues, and have done exactly that. Depending upon your BAC, the amount of blood drawn, the time between the original draw and the first test (and your re-test), the BAC will likely be a little lower (to be expected), but if your case hinges on 0.09 vs 0.08, you've got more problems...

Posts: 115 | Location: Denton, TX, USA | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pay to fly the chemist who did the original testing here. That's the easiest solution, along with the other suggestion of re-testing. Re-testing, however, even if the results are the same, opens a whole new bag of worms at trial about where the original tester of the evidence is and why they are not testifying.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about videotaping a deposition?

Posts: 1 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post