TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    22.01 Enh. FV
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22.01 Enh. FV Login/Join 
posted
Do you think that "convicted under this section" can include and out of state family violence assault as the prior?

I'm taking the position that an out of state prior can be used to enhance our assault to a felony, but would love some learned opinions to back me up (or set me straight!).

thanks.

Posts: 11 | Location: texas | Registered: January 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Nope, "this section" means Texas Penal Code Sec. 22.01, which currently does not include out-of-state convictions. That's why the Lege just added out-of-state convictions by means of SB 91 (eff. 9-1-05). But for offenses committed before then, you're out of luck.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On that topic, how does everyone plan on alleging dating violence in their informations and indictments? Is it good enough to say "[injured party], a person with whom the defendant has or has had a dating relationship?" Any need to expand on the definition of dating relationship in the charging instrument? Does anybody else think it would be a bad idea to add dating relationship in the string of "[injured party], a member of the defendant's family, household, or a person with whom the defendant has or has had a dating relationship?" Will it be good enough for ehancement for the Judge to make a finding of "family violence" without specifying "dating violence" since the definitions are combined under Family Code 71.004?

Posts: 27 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: March 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post