TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Myths of College Rapes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Myths of College Rapes Login/Join 
posted
If you have a college in your jurisdiction, you might want to check out this story on NPR: click here.

The story addresses some myths associated with rape on college campuses and discusses the uneasy relationship between the college and the DA. Having Southwestern University in my jurisdiction, I found that the story raised a lot of the issues we see with some frequency.

How about you?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently both professors believe freshman coeds are most vulnerable to campus rapists. One makes the point that the level of debauchery among many college students in both alcohol and sex, contributes to the problem.

Perhaps college administrators should think outside the box and come up with new and innovative ways to protect college girls, especially freshmen.

One idea, might be to require all freshmen coeds to stay in a dorm exclusively for them their first year. The administration could require a reasonable curfew, and strictly prohibit drinking.

To enforce their rules, they would need a responsible adult living in the dorm, and give her real authority. This person could be some no-nonsense older woman, who would have an apartment there, and would check the girls as they returned to the dorm each night. Perhaps this person could be called a "dorm mother," since she is in effect a substitute mother.

This way, freshmen girls, out at a party, or out on a date, would have a built-in excuse to leave before things got dangerous. "I can't stay any longer. If I'm late dorm mother will kill me!" Or, "I can't have a drink, because dorm mother always checks our breath, and if she catches me drinking, she'll kill me!"

Sure, it's a novel idea that has never been tried, but I bet it would work a lot better than a 500 page "student conduct code."

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post