TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Tips for presentation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips for presentation Login/Join 
posted
Some local banks have been the victim of crimes recently, ranging from attempted aggravated robbery to forgeries and bogus check schemes. The local Tri-County Bankers Association would like for me to speak at their next meeting to their employees, with an emphasis on what types of evidence I would need for a successful prosecution. I know it would be dependent on the type of case but as a for instance, in a recent check fraud case, the defendant can be seen on video touching the countertop several times. After the defendant left and the bank realized something was amiss, employees were at the countertop, looking at the check which was passed (no prints were recovered from the countertop or check). So forensic evidence preservation would be something that would likely be an issue. I realize this might be more on the investigating agency's agenda, but I am trying to give the banks some background on what to do and not to do before the police arrive.
In a robbery attempt, of course the safety of employees and customers would be paramount. After that, good descriptions of clothing and any weapons exhibited, or vehicles used. I would like to draw on the experience and expertise of the members for any hints/tips they may have. Chain of custody? How to be a good witness? One I already know is "make sure the bank has as good a surviellance system as your average liquor store". Thanks in advance.

Posts: 35 | Location: Groesbeck, TX | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For forgery and check schemes, the employee should require presentation of a driver's license and should write the DL number on the check. In suspicious situations, they could require a fingerprint on the check. The Texas Bankers Association provides fingerprint pads. I purchased some and distributed them to all the merchants in my county who accept checks. If you want a sample, let me know.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post