TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Justice Precincts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Justice Precincts Login/Join 
posted
I am a deputy sheriff in a very small population county. There is a disagreement within the ranks as to whether or not citations must be written to the JP of the precinct where the violation was committed. Can someone throw me a bone?

Posts: 4 | Location: Kingsville, TX, USA | Registered: January 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Article 4.12, Code of Criminal Procedures, specifies where misdemeanor cases to be tried in JP courts should be filed. The officer can file the charge in the precinct in which the offense was committed; the precinct in which the defendant resides; in any precinct within the county if both the state and the defendant (or the defendant's attorney) agree in writing; and if the offense was committed in a county with a population of 3.3 million or more, inany precinct within the county adjacent to the precinct in which the offense was committed.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On those JP cases I that go to trial, i always prove that the offense occured in the JP precinct in which the trial is being held, as well as the county.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Posts: 4 | Location: Kingsville, TX, USA | Registered: January 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post