TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Jury Instruction - Defendant's Waiver of Right to Counsel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jury Instruction - Defendant's Waiver of Right to Counsel Login/Join 
posted
Starting jury trial tomorrow against pro se defendant. Does anyone know of a jury instruction on a defendant's waiver of right to counsel????

Thanks,
Justin

Posts: 16 | Registered: January 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can certainly voir dire on whether anyone will be more sympathetic just because the "big bad state" is being represented by experienced counsel and the defendant has made a conscious decision to represent himself. And let's be fair - will they hold every procedural court error against him or stick to the evidence?

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked in my resources and did not find any instruction on waiver of counsel; I think your voir dire on it should be the way to handle it: good luck, go get him Smile

Posts: 9 | Location: Sulphur Springs, Texas, USA | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of cases on voir dire comments in this vein that you might be interested in. Ganther v. State, 187 S.W.3d 641 and Saunders v. State, 721 S.W.2d 359. They both deal with trial court comments, but I still thought you might find something helpful there. Good luck.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post