TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    New computer fraud venue statute?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New computer fraud venue statute? Login/Join 
posted
I recently read an article in the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram about the problems that law enforcement is having investigating computer crimes.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/4828991.htm

There's not much we can do about the problems described with training and resources other than to help out with our own resources and staff. However, they also said that there is a problem with determining jurisdiction.

Does anyone think we need a new section in CCP Chapter 13 clarifying venue issues for internet theft/fraud cases? The only venue statute I could find currently on the books that was related to computer related offenses was in Art. 13.25, but it only deals with computer security cases.

Posts: 280 | Location: Weatherford, Texas | Registered: March 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Travis Koehn (Criminal DA in Austin Co.) already started the ball rolling on this issue in regard to venue problems with identity theft cases. He contacted us last fall and got help in drafting a statute that has been pre-filed by his local rep., Lois Kolkhorst, as HB 254. We've got this on our "Bills to Watch" list on the Legislative Page, and I know he'd appreciate any help you can give him with your local legislators when this bill comes up for consideration.

Jeff, if there is another specific type of "computer crime" that you want to add to the venue chapter of CCP, throw it out there and we can see if it's workable ...

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post