TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    How about a new prison?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about a new prison? Login/Join 
posted
The following quote was in a recent story quoting Sen. Whitmire (D-Houston):

"It might get costly to fix the state's criminal justice system," Whitmire said, "but cost cannot get in the way of justice. ... Public safety means you have to run a credible, fair and honest system."

Does this mean we will be spending money for a new prison to avoid a growing parole rate?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, for some strange reason I just don't really think that's what Sen. Whitmire has in mind.... Roll Eyes

Posts: 293 | Registered: April 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come on JB, you know Whitmire as well as anyone. Was he sending a message indicating a change of heart on new beds?

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since when is the present system credible, fair and honest? That's no longer it's strong suits.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find that people who have the strongest negative opinions about an issue generally have a single personal experience that they allow to influence their opinion about an entire system. That is unfair to the good people who do a great job most of the time.

I also find that being anonymous gives people freedom to exaggerate.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
And I find John Bradley's new-found tact refreshingly droll ... Wink

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are in this business 15 minutes you will find a few folks around the courthouse who have ground their axe down to a nub and are always eager to fine someone who hasn't had the pleasure of hearing their tale of woe. That poor schlub suffers the fate of the wedding guest in The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner when he "stoppeth one of three."

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post