TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Graffiti Punishment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Graffiti Punishment Login/Join 
posted
[Didnt' the Leg just amend the law to make some graffiti-like crimes even more serious? Shannon?]

Katy ISD settles graffiti offense with apology
Katy girl who wrote on wall will also make posters, ask laws be clearer

By HELEN ERIKSEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

A Katy school principal and parents of a 12-year-old girl who wrote "I love Alex" on a gymnasium wall have agreed to terms of her punishment.

Shelby Sendelbach, who was originally ordered to attend alternative school for four months in a decision largely criticized as too harsh, will write a letter of apology to the district's maintenance director and thank him for cleaning up the wall, her father Stu Sendelbach said Monday.

She will also make posters with the theme "Let's Keep Our School Clean" and will write letters to legislators explaining her case and asking them to clarify school discipline laws, Sendelbach said.

The Katy Independent School District had originally defended the alternative school decision, saying the law called for punishing the act as a felony because the marking was made in permanent ink.

A graffiti offense is a Level 4 infraction under the district's discipline plan, putting it in the same category as making terroristic threats, possessing dangerous drugs and assaulting with bodily injury.

Sendelbach, who advocated Shelby be punished more appropriately for the misconduct, said he was pleased with the new decision and that his daughter will comply with the recommendations.

"We think the posters are a great idea and we may even buy some poster frames so they will look better and are better protected as well," he said.

Rick Hull, principal of Mayde Creek Junior High, declined to comment Monday, but school district spokesman Steve Stanford said cleaning of the phrase Shelby wrote and those written by others involved taking the bleachers off and sanding them.

"I think this was a very fair and creative punishment," said Fred Hink, director of parent advocacy group Texas Zero Tolerance.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the graffiti thing but I know that Carjackers oughta drive right on through Williamson County. Good job Jane and Jana!

Of course, that carjacker is just a misunderstood soul with low self esteem. It's really the fault of the parents of that jacker, or perhaps even lead paint exposure.

My favorite line from the news: "A lot of people have had bad childhoods," she [Jane Starnes]said. "And they don't go out and commit violent crimes."

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She also warned the jury not to believe his "mealy-mouthed apology and crocodile tears." Jane is one of our subtlest prosecutors. Be sure to ask Jane what the defendant said to her after he asked her for her name.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another interesting topic for Jail Mail Theater. Big Grin

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post