TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    The First Sign
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The First Sign Login/Join 
posted
For those of you who are looking for arguments as to why Life Without Parole is a fiction, take a look at HB 1670, which passed in the 78th Regular Session of the Legislature.

The bill creates some new loopholes for early release.

An inmate serving a life sentence for capital murder may be released from prison by the vote of merely 2 parole board members for health reasons. Now, I assume you, as a prosecutor, had to get the unanimous vote of 12 jurors to get your sentence.

This is the sort of loophole that will be abused. There is no such thing as Life Without Parole. The very people who sponsor it will be the same people sponsoring these sorts of loopholes.

And, even more appalling, is the loophole for deportation. If you happened to be a citizen of another country when you committed your nonviolent crime, you can go free back to your home merely on the vote of two people who decide you are no longer a threat to public safety. What about paying for your crime? Is that no longer why we sentence people?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I clicked on the link for HB 1670, and it shows it passed the legis., but it doesn't appear to have been signed by the gov. When I went to the Texas Legislature page, and put in HB 1670, it couldn't find such a bill.

Is HB 1670 law? Eek

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terry, you probably just neglected to reset the session for 78th Legislature--Regular Session. Currently, the default is the 2d called session. I make that mistake all the time. It shows that the Governor signed HB 1670 on 6/18 and it is effective 9/1.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Texas really is the land of opportunity for the foreign criminal, isn't it? An ambitious young criminal can come here--legally or illegally, it doesn't matter--and go into the crime business. If he's caught he is just sent home, while his American "business partner" must incur a much higher cost of doing business, namely he must do his time in the TDC.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post