TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Probable Cause Affidavits for Blood Draw
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Probable Cause Affidavits for Blood Draw Login/Join 
posted
I have my first suppression hearing on this topic this week. I found all the case law on a totality of the circumstances analysis to determine PC by the magistrate...common sense...But, I want to make sure I'm not missing something good. Is there specific stuff as to the form of the Affidavit outside the CCP? The challenge goes to incomplete sentences, general statements, no specifics on SFST's (which actually the affidavit references the judge to the attached SFST form)... Thanks!

Posts: 79 | Location: Hood County | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's nothing in the statutes about any specific form that the affidavit must take. It just has to include enough for the magistrate to determine there's PC. As long as the incomplete sentences, etc don't affect the legibility of the affidavit, it should be fine.

As far as general statements, you DO have to include enough specific facts to show PC. You can't just say "I believed he was DWI," there has to be something more specific to back it up. But there's no requirement that the magistrate hear every detail of the SFSTs either. It just has to be enough, in a common-sense reading, to establish PC.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your response. Would you agree that the attached SFST sheet, when referenced within the actual affidavit, is within the four corners of the affidavit? In otherwords, the officer swore the SFST sheet was attached and incorporated it into his affidavit...right?

Posts: 79 | Location: Hood County | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was doing ALR cases, we had officers from agencies who used a PC checklist for DWI cases routinely incorporate the signed check lists into the DIC-23 Sworn Report. SOAH and the appellate courts routinely accepted the PC checklists as part of the sworn report. If the officer affirmatively incorporated the checklist into his PC affidavit, I can't see a problem. But then, I am not a prosecutor, just an assistant GC for a state agency.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post