TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Retroactivity
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retroactivity Login/Join 
posted
Having to deal with a suppression on an Intox Manslaughter, in which the defense is arguing McNeely is retroactive and should apply. The blood draw was done some six months prior to McNeely, but I'm thinking the "it happened before the decision was done so it doesn't count" argument might not be the best argument. I've got the exigent circumstance argument and the statutory argument, but I was wondering if anyone has dealt with retroactivity yet.

Posts: 12 | Location: Amarillo | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't personally, but I know that Montgomery County has, and I think that Bexar and Nueces have as well. All three counties were well represented at the McNeely roundtable.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also remember to argue good faith. Not in warrant, but in a statute. Finally look at footnote 9 where our Mandatory Law was NOT< YES NOT overturned. Don't argue retroactivity argue non application, McNeely did not declare anything we have in Texas unconstitutional even if that is what the defense claims. Worry, sure. Conceed, never.

Posts: 293 | Location: Austin, TX, US | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good faith is the argument that's worked well here in combination with the Transportation Code statute.

Posts: 22 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post