TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    "Direct filing system?" (HB 2977)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Direct filing system?" (HB 2977) Login/Join 
posted
This bill looks like it would make some changes in how arrestees are processed. But I admit I don't understand it. Can anyone shed light on the background or purpose of this bill?

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/tlo/textframe.cmd?LEG=79&SESS=R&CHAMBER=H&BILLTYPE=B&BILLSUFFIX=02977&VERSION=1&TYPE=B

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, if you read this literally, you might even have to go see these folks at whatever little municipal jail clear across the county they were brought to for initial processing, before they even made it to the county jail. Logically, I would assume that's not the intent here (though I'm not so sure they don't really mean immediate as in, RIGHT NOW, not tomorrow morning), but I can see it being construed that way by certain people.

Elizabeth Foley
Ass't Crim. D.A.
Galveston County

Posts: 102 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like prosecutors have been elevated as well, because we get to decide whether probable cause exists.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post