TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Impound Vehicle for No Drivers License?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impound Vehicle for No Drivers License? Login/Join 
posted
Can anyone give me an answer as to whether Sheriff's office can or should impound vehicles when driver has no license? I think they can if they arrest them, but not if they drag them to the SO and tell them to find a ride. Any thoughts?

Posts: 1 | Location: Sarita, TX | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's an arrestable office. So, if he's arrested and the PD follows its procedures you can impound it.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a driver's license and you won't have a problem!

Posts: 293 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and cars can be held for no insurance violations, which seem to go hand in hand with no license violations.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Maricle v. Biggerstaff the United States District Court, Northern Distric (Dallas) held that it was not a violation of 42 USC 1983 for a law enforcement agency to have a policy that vehicles would be towed if the operator failed to establish proof of financial responsibility. The court pointed out that it is unlawful to operate a motor vehicle on a public road in Texas without it. I think the same rationale could apply to no DL (I presume the person doesn't have a DL at all).

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post