TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Can a Judge Rescind a State's Dismissal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a Judge Rescind a State's Dismissal Login/Join 
posted
Situation that has not come up before:

We have an individual that was committed due to incompetency on 2 cases pending. Was committed for 12 months. His 12 months will be up in a few weeks. We filed motions to dismiss the indictments on grounds of incompetency. The hospital called and faxed our office a letter declaring he is now competent that was dated a month ago (they sent a copy to the court but never to us).

So, my question is this: Does a judge have the power to rescind a State's dismissal on grounds that the defendant was not actually incompetent at the time the dismissal was filed (state's grounds to dismiss were non-applicable), or do I need to just re-indict? This dude has been up to the hospital a few times for mental reasons and is definitely someone to be concerned about letting loose.

Posts: 8 | Registered: July 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably cleaner to seek a new indictment, assuming no limitations issues. The judge MAY have continuing jurisdiction over the matter, depending on when the dismissal was signed, but if you can eliminate that issue with a new indictment, I would avoid complicating things.

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the order was Signed July 19 2013. I've set a hearing on the matter August 2 (the next time the judge signing the order will be on the bench). Is that enough time? I can't find a rule or case that speaks of this issue.

Unfortunately, our grand jury will not be meeting again until late August, and that'd be the soonest I could re-indict.

I really would prefer not to complicate things if I could, but for the reasons originally posted, it's just one of those times...

Posts: 8 | Registered: July 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume that the original arresting agency can seek a warrant for the arrest of the defendant, using the same facts as the original P/C affidavit. That should at least get the defendant picked up and held (if he can't post bond) until you can indict.

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been my position, on admittedly different facts, that once a case is dismissed, the court loses jurisdiction over the case and has no power or authority to revive or reassert it.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
reindict

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post