TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    33.07 Online Harassment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

33.07 Online Harassment Login/Join 
posted
Has anybody file an indictment under 33.07? It seems confusing. I have a victim that is harassed through a social website. But the the defendant did not use "the name or persona of another person". Any suggestion!

Posts: 2 | Location: San Diego, Texas | Registered: March 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a case (Massimo v. State, 144 S.W.3d 210 (Tex.App.--Fort Worth 2004) that was an email harassment case filed under 42.07. Shepardize the case and you might get some results that are more current and that might help you even if you're trying to use the new statute. But it perhaps might be better to use the 42.07 "electronic communications" provision.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If there is no element of psuedo-identity theft, then the new offense does not apply. With that in mind, "Online impersonation" might've been a better title for the offense.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several of these but you need them to take on the identity of another. Did they just post the messages on the victim's wall?

Posts: 9 | Registered: October 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post