TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Retarded or Not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retarded or Not? Login/Join 
posted
Recently, in a per curiam opinion, the CCA adopted a trial judge's conclusion that a death row inmate was mentally retarded and should not be executed.

Presiding Judge Keller authored a dissenting opinion that focused on a TV interview given by the inmate. She found that the interview strongly contradicted the notion that the inmate was mentally retarded.

So, what do you think? To watch the first few minutes of the interview, click here.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The silence is deafening.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Judge Keller's observations about the video interview are pretty accurate. The problem, however, seems to lie with the trial court judge's findings.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry...I was going to watch it while everyone else was watching football this weekend. After all, nothing is more important in Texas than football, except interviews with prison inmates. Wink

Just teasing, JB; I'm sure most people are either on vacation or haven't had time to watch the video and read the opinion.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least as articulate as some politician interviews I have seen.

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think David hits the most significant point. If the trial judge had shared Judge Keller's opinion, it is quite likely that the rest of the CCA would have supported that opinion. In other words, the case for retardation could have gone either way.

Note, however, that in this case the trial judge (through an adopted vote by the CCA) is making the decision. In more recent cases, the decision is being made by a jury. Personally, I like the opinion of 12 jurors.

posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot more retarded videos on YouTube.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, an excellent come-back by the Layman.