TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Comic Books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comic Books Login/Join 
posted
My daughter gave me a 3-comic book series to read: Mr. Stuffins by Boom Comics. Check it out. You will never look at a teddy bear/crime-fighter the same.

Hey, NPR liked it, so it must be good: NPR link.

So, anyone have any other recommendations?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watchmen.

The movie led many of my friends to reminisce about it. After some encouragement I read a friend's copy and was thoroughly impressed.

Posts: 79 | Location: Williamson County | Registered: August 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watchmen is a complex graphic novel. I read it upon the recommendation of my son (junior in college) and then saw the movie. Requires serious concentration.

I've been asked to do a presentation at the Corpus Christi annual on the subject of "Who Watches the Watchmen?" It has been interesting to consider parallels between prosecutors and superheroes suddenly criticized by the public.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just a whippersnapper of a prosecutor, but all of my friends in law school who are currently prosecutors (including myself) devoured Watchmen. I used it as a break from my bar review studies. I saw the movie the way that comic book movies should be seen- at a weekday noon matinee, in a 1930s art deco movie theater in Washington DC. I'd highly recommend it, and may now have to beg for the funds to go to the Corpus annual, just for Mr. Bradley's session.

As far as other comic books go- I'm a fan of anything by Jeph Loeb, Kurt Busiek's "Asto City" series is very good, and the "Sin City" series is the best noir film you'll ever read. Right now the "Blackest Night" series is currently being issued, and worth picking up.

This is what happens when the local, independent comic books store is less than 2 blocks from the court house. If you happen to have one of those in town, go in and ask about the "After Watchmen" set. It's a collection of different stories, styles, and characters, in a special one issue release. They're at a very reduced price ($1 each I think) and designed just for people who are exploring comic books and graphic novels after having seen or read Watchmen.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you liked the dense, weighty storyline of Watchmen, then I'd recommend "From Hell." It was made into a Johnny Depp movie a few years ago that hardly does it justice. It's a very dense, complex intertwining of London architecture, Masonic conspiracy, and the Jack the Ripper murders.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, as long as we're recommending Alan Moore's stuff, V For Vendetta is definitely worth a read. The movie was meh, but the book was great.

Alan Moore is a pretty stunning writer in general. Years ago I found a trade paperback reprint of his reworking of Swamp Thing, which turned it into something worth reading. He's also behind The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (again, forget the movie and read the book), the one-shot Batman book The Killing Joke, and various other stuffs, including one of my favorite Superman stories, "For The Man Who Has Everything."

Besides Moore, you'll want to check out Frank Miller. Miller is behind the best years of Daredevil, as well as the legendary Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Sin City, 300, Ronin, and Hard Boiled.

Posts: 41 | Location: 47th District | Registered: June 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like Moore and Miller, be sure to watch the movie "Children of Men."