TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Graffiti question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Graffiti question Login/Join 
posted
I am attempting to charge a guy who tagged some college dorms. Trouble is, I don't know if I can make it a SJF under 28.08(d)(1). Does "on...an institution of higher education" equate to the inclusion of dormitories? Could not find any case law this morning.

As always, thanks for the responses.

Jason Espinosa
Assistant District Attorney
Nueces County, Texas

Posts: 4 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's a private dormitory it wouldn't fit the definition of Educ Code 61.008. Otherwise go for it. And keep the guy away from my neighborhood, OK? Smile

Posts: 36 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX 78401 | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not dealt with this issue before, but I think the dorm would be included. The heart of the offense is marking "tangible property" without consent of the owner. At trial, the person who testifies as the "owner" can testify to facts that prove the college is an institution of higher education, and can also state that the dorm is tangible property located on the grounds of the college, owned and maintained by the college, for the exclusive use of students enrolled in the college, etc. In short, the dorm is an integral part of the institution (assuming my description is correct).

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see what will happen when the dean gets word of this:

"Who dumped a truckload of fizzies into the pool before the swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni ball? Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode."

"You're talking about Delta, sir."

"Of course I'm talking about Delta, you twerp."

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Brumley:
I can see what will happen when the dean gets word of this:

"Who dumped a truckload of fizzies into the pool before the swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni ball? Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode."

"You're talking about Delta, sir."

"Of course I'm talking about Delta, you twerp."

I guess I should start calling you Dean Wormer. That was a VERY BAD movie to have come out as I was a freshman in college!

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess whose fence was tagged last night.

Posts: 36 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX 78401 | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post