TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Two-strike sex offenders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two-strike sex offenders Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone tried a two-strike sex offender case? I have one starting Monday the 28th, and need some guidance with the charge and how exactly the issue of the prior is put before the jury. My idea is to, after a guilty verdict, prove up only the prior, then submit a special issue to the jury on whether or not they believe that the defendant is the same person previously convicted, so that we don't have to do a traditional punishment phase if they answer affirmatively. Am I on the right track? Nobody in McLennan County has had one of these cases go to a jury before.

Posts: 4 | Location: Waco,Texas, USA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is nothing in the Code of Criminal Procedure that suggests there can be a tri-furcated trial. You should just present the enhancement in the punishment stage just like any other enhancement. Surely you know whether you can prove up the enhancment.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post