TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Remembering a fallen brother prosecutor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remembering a fallen brother prosecutor Login/Join 
posted
Nine years ago Gil Epstein, then a up and coming Fort Bend County Assistant District Attorney, was brutally murdered during an agg robbery in Houston when the killer saw his da badge and thought Gil was a police officer.

I was Gil's courtroom prosecution partner and friend at the time of his death. Our entire office, as well as defense attorney Rocket Rosen, had literally adopted Gil collectively as our little brother. Gil had endeared himself to us in so many ways, not the least of which was his courtroom theatrics and spectacular personality.

Many of us who were working at the Fort Bend DA's office then and were friends with Gil are now working elsewhere. We used to take out a memorial ad in the local paper on this date, but since I am no longer in Fort Bend, I thought I would use this forum to recall what a stellar individual Gil was and to lament the loss to our field of a very gifted young prosecutor.

He deserves to be remembered.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg,

We all hope our lives will have meaning after we've died. Your tribute to Gil proves he succeeded in making a positive difference to the people he knew. Wish I had known him too.

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, WB.

GG

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg,

I was in Gil's breakout group at baby prosecutor's school in '95, and we had a few....laughs that week.

I also remember being in Mexico, er, Padre, at the annual update when I heard the news.

He was a great guy, a great prosecutor, and you and the Fort Bend County family have my condolences on your loss.

David

Posts: 97 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe, for me anyway, that 13 years ago today my friend and court partner Gil was murdered by a crackhead parolee who saw his DA badge during an aggravated robbery and thought he was a cop and killed him.

In some ways, time passes quickly and in some ways, it crawls.

The young nephew of Gil's that I met at his funeral, then in second or third grade, is now a sophomore in college.

Rest in peace, my friend. All of your friends miss you.

And to each of my TDCAA friends, be careful out there.

posted Hide Post
Rest in peace, Gil.

posted Hide Post
We remember you, Gil, and we miss you. Although it's been 16 years, in many ways it feels like yesterday that you were physically in our lives.

Rest in peace.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GG,