TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    admissibility of social workers notes with victim from hospital?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

admissibility of social workers notes with victim from hospital? Login/Join 
posted
my facts:
sister gets into fight with brother and stabs him in the chest. she flees. the brother is life flighted. upon being discharged from the hospital he meets with a social worker to address "patient/family current situation/problems."

during this interview, the defendant states his sister, Jane Doe, stabbed him in the chest with some scissors.

the brother has filled out an affidavit of non-prosecution and won't cooperate.

the social workers notes were part of the medical records but i'm anticipating a "hearsay" objection and argument that these notes were being used for medical diagnosis.

do you think they are admissible?

Posts: 9 | Location: houston, texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. Classic hearsay. Not taken by medical personnel for medical purpose.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in what exactly the social worker does in this interview. What's the real purpose of the interview?

Depending on what the social worker really does, there may be a colorable argument to make the statements were made for medical purposes...but on its face, I'm with JB.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a case (never looked either) that defined the limits of 'medical' purposes. A psychiatrist is an MD but a psychologist/social worker isn't, although mental health has its medical components. Interesting question (so long as I'm not doing all the research).

I wonder if this type of hearsay exception has been tested in light of the developments in the area of confrontation rights.

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post