TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Rearrests of freed TYC prisoners raise alarm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rearrests of freed TYC prisoners raise alarm Login/Join 
posted
Come on JB, let them have it.

http://www.tdcaa.com/dynam_iprosec.asp?iid=1

When they drastically reduced the population of TYC, what criteria was used to determine the "appropriate" TYC population?

Posts: 115 | Location: Andrews, Texas | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made 3 or 4 trips up to Austin during this last session to testify before the House Corrections Committee and the House Crim Just. Committee. What a surreal experience that was.

It seemed to me that many of the legislators were far more sympathetic to the testimony of the lobbiest for the ACLU/LULAC, and the lobbiest for the Committee for Doing Good and Opposing Evil (it had some other name, which I can't recall, but that's pretty close)and their friends, than they had from prosecutors, parole board members, and cops.

As a result, the legislature passed a number of "reforms" that let a lot of "children" out of TYC, and the same papers that decry the result--rapes, robberies, etc etc--were then singing their praises.

Maybe, if the public gets mad enough, the legislature will learn that letting criminals out of the joint is not a "reform" (which means, "a change for the better,") but just a bad idea.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's one of those deals where those who argue for early release, of either TYC youth or TDCJ inmates, should be required to have their own criminal/parolee/juvenile offender come live with them as a condition of parole. 24/7. Let them see what the reality of their fanciful idealism is. Hopefully, most will live through it and only suffer property loss.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post