TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    beer sales
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

beer sales Login/Join 
posted
the chamber of commerce has an annual bike fest around the courthouse square. this year they are getting a TABC permit to sell beer and want to set up their beer booth in the courthouse parking lot. TABC says they need a letter from the county authorizing the use of the property for alcohol sales. Other than insurance not covering the county because of the alcohol sales etc., what issues if any jump out at you that might prohibit such use. The county lets vendors set up on any of the courthouse property without charging them and typically does not screen or even know which organizations are setting up a booth.
I am not sure the commissioners will feel comfortable signing the letter TABC needs regardless of legal hurdles. The county would not be the permit holder.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if I can add too much to any legal argument, however, the political implications here are huge. As you state, the alcohol would be sold and served on county property. The perception of some individuals will be that the county is selling and profiting from the stuff. Regardless of any waiver or agreement between the parties, because of the perception, the county puts itself in a position to have to defend potential claims when someone abuses the stuff and either gets someone hurt or something damaged.

Posts: 30 | Location: Rockwall, Texas USA | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so - did the beer sales shake Scurry County to the point of an earthquake? If so, may Nolan COunty send you the bill for our falling granite slabs??!! Big Grin

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had another 3.8 or so this am.....wasnt sure whether to get out of the courthouse or stay in...lots of unusual popping noises going on, but no damage as far as i know. if this keeps up we may have to start selling beer in the courthouse to keep the employees calm.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post