TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Salary Warrant Approval
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salary Warrant Approval Login/Join 
posted
Do your commissioners approve payment of each county employee's salary as it comes due (bi-weekly or monthly as the case may be) at their regularly scheduled commissioners court meetings? Do you believe that such regular, continuous approval is necessary? The following AG opinions seem to indicate that it is:

JM-192 (1984)

Letter Opinion 95-225

JC-0370 (2001)

Do you know of any statute/authority I'm missing that doesn't require such periodic approval of salries which have already been approved generally through line items in a yearly budget?

Posts: 35 | Location: Wichita Falls, TX USA | Registered: May 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After we talked about it yesterday, I checked with our First Assistant. He tells me that our voucher list at each meeting contains an item that lists the total payout for that period from the salary fund. The auditor approves that expenditure before each meeting. Whether that complies with the AG's (or at least several former AGs') view of how it should be done is open to question, I suppose.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For years this ritual repeats every time we meet. In the past the argument here has centered over the interplay of this old Spanish custom with section 151.004 of the Tex. Loc. Gov't. My clients have claimed publicly that if they must approve salary they can disapprove salary. I don't know about the employees in your county but most of ours won't continue toiling away with unapproved or unissued paychecks. Thereby influencing the appointment of a person to an approved position.

Now for the question -- which is the ritual, the approval of claims, including salaries, or the argument that if we have the authority to approve that includes the authority to disapprove and therefore influence hiring? Cool

[This message was edited by Ray on 04-18-07 at .]

[This message was edited by Ray on 04-18-07 at .]

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post