TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Bidding Materials When County Is General Contractor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bidding Materials When County Is General Contractor Login/Join 
posted
Our commissioners court has approved professional services (engineering)pertaining to the repair/replacement of a timber bridge. The commissioner wishes purchase the necessary materials, sub-contract the pile driving and then complete the remaining repairs using county labor. The estimated cost of the total project is as follows:
$36k engineering (not bid- professional svcs.)
$58k materials including rock, timbers, pipe, steel plate and other "hardware" (all from separate suppliers)
$28k pile driving (sub-contract)

Do we need to bid? I don't believe there's any intent to circumvent chapter 262. The materials would be purchased from distinct suppliers and the job is not being completed in "phases" (GA-0604).

Any thoughts?

Posts: 24 | Location: Liberty, Texas | Registered: January 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll give it a try. Bidding the entire job, since you are the contractor, would not be feasible. I think you can do it, but would be very transparent about it. I would try to do good PR with your local media, and make sure that everyone knows what you are doing - that goes a long way to stop complaints...

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post