TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    seizure from juveniles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

seizure from juveniles Login/Join 
posted
Our PD has seized a few grand from a juvenile. Proving it is proceeds of dope sales is not the problem. He's a well known young "business person", but he is, alas, a minor. Forfeitures are actions in rem, but he is an actual party. Can I file the suit? Would I need to name and serve his parents? Has anyone had such a successful juvenile "business man" and done this before?

Posts: 105 | Location: Marshall, Texas, Harrison | Registered: February 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about any caselaw regarding the propriety of seizure or forfeiture from juveniles, but...

If you do file such a forfeiture, I believe you would need to style the party implicated as "(Parent) as Next Friend and/or Guardian of (Juvenile)." See Austin Nursing Ctr., Inc. v. Lovato, 171 S.W.3d 845, 849 (Tex. 2005).

Further, I believe you would need to serve the juvenile personally rather than serving the parent. See In the Estate of Bean, 120 S.W.3d 914, 920 (Tex. App.�Texarkana 2003, pet. denied) ; Wright v. Jones, 52 S.W.2d 247, 251 (Tex. Comm�n App.�1932).

Hope that helps.

Posts: 35 | Location: Wichita Falls, TX USA | Registered: May 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I went off on the fact forfeitures are actions in rem, and filed the suit against the parent as next friend and natural guardian, alleging the money was seized from the child. I had only the parent served, though, and will look at your cases on that issue. Thanks for the response.

Posts: 105 | Location: Marshall, Texas, Harrison | Registered: February 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone looking at Bryce's reply got good information, but I'd suggest you look first at the case Texarkana cited for their reasoning - 907 S.W.2d 491.