TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Resign to run?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resign to run? Login/Join 
posted
OK - you election gurus... the elected chair of the hospital board (taxing entity)is running for county judge, and a city commissioner is running for county commissioner. Must either of these resign their current positions to run?

I presume that, should either win, they would have to resign...

THanks

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When do the intital terms for each expire? Or does it matter? My thought is along the lines of less than 1 year remaining on the original positions and there may not be a "resign to run" issue. When did they file? After Jan. 1st or before?
Just a thought!

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure when the terms are up. Since I don't represent the hospital or the city, I hadn't really thought about the question - but am being asked. Both filed late the 1st or early the 2nd.

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Tex. Const. Art. XVI, Sec. 65. Only certain county officials are required to resign if there is more than one year remaining in their term at the time they file for another office. An elected city official serving a four year term in a home rule city is covered by Art XI, Sec. 11.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course you will have to share your findings.....enquiring minds want to know!

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll want to look at the City Charter, the Local Government Code provisions relating to the specific type of municipality that you are dealing with, and the Hospital Board's enabling statutes.

A.D.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post