TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    CCP Art. 44.01 and CIVIL Appeals
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCP Art. 44.01 and CIVIL Appeals Login/Join 
posted
I recently lost an expunction suit. (The issue is whether Art. 55.01(a)(2)(A)(i) requires that the statute of limitations must expire on a misdemeanor before it can be expunged.) I signed and filed a Notice of Appeal. The Court of Appeals just informed me that my Notice of Appeal should have been signed by the sitting Criminal DA, rather than by me, his humble assistant. The C of A cites Art. 44.01(i) of the Code of Criminal Procedure, interpretting it to require the actual CA, DA or CDA to sign Notices of Appeal, rather than allowing them to be signed by assistants. As I read that article, it only applies to State appeals in criminal cases. Have any of you run into this issue before? Am I missing something?

Posts: 188 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the same issue arise with the Seventh Court in forfeiture and nuisance cases where the State is the nominal party. Generally, when you politely remind them that it's a civil case (as in really civil, not like a bond forfeiture), they typically will back off.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brief to the Court of Appeals is on its way to Amarillo. I will let all of you what the outcome is.

Posts: 188 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post