TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    vehicle pursuit policy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

vehicle pursuit policy Login/Join 
posted
I have been asked to help my agency update its policy. If an LE agency in your jurisdiction has a vehicle pursuit policy you like, please email or fax it to me. Or if there is one you don't like, that would be helpful too. Gracias.

From what I have seen, the typical pursuit policy, being influenced by Wadewitz and similar cases in the 1990s, is quite detailed and contains rich material for cross-examination of the officer by a plaintiff's lawyer. I am considering going with a more general "be careful out there and back off if it gets too dangerous" approach. Yet it is necessary to be able to defend claims that the agency's policy is so inadequate or bad as to have violated someone's civil rights. Any replies or input on how to balance these 2 factors would be welcome.

boyd.kennedy@tpwd.state.tx.us
fax: 512-389-4740

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Boyd,

We just updated our policy here in Ector County. I will get you a copy.

Posts: 24 | Location: Odessa, Texas | Registered: August 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Dennis, I look forward to it. How are things out west?

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post