TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Squatters in County-owned Property
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squatters in County-owned Property Login/Join 
posted
We have recently discovered that some folks have taken up residence inside a house that was struck off to the County over 10 years ago. The Commissioners are thinking of putting all such property up for sale again, and I need suggestions regarding how to handle the squatters.

Should we file an eviction suit, or just sell the property and let the purchaser worry about them? As an added bonus, there may be some adverse possession issues.

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JIm,
It has been a while since I looked and am going from memory, but I seem to recall cases that indicated an individual could not adversely possess from a govermental entity. That research was close to 20 years ago, so I hope I am recalling correctly. How about a criminal trespass notice? If they remain after notice a possible arrest?

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are absolutely correct, Mike. An individual cannot adversely possess against the Crown / State.

We had a situation like that on some open ground behind our coliseum. County judge tried to go talk to the squatter and was run off with a shot gun. Ended up doing an eviction and the Sheriff had to run him off.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post