TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Official Autonomy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Official Autonomy Login/Join 
posted
I have my Personnel Director worried about "official autonomy" in that she somehow got the idea that elected officials do not have to follow county policies if they don't want to. This doesn't seem correct. Is there anyone out there who has any sage words in regards to this. Is it possible that an elected official can simply disregard a county policy because he feels like it or disregard them all? Confused
Victor
Starr County Attorney

Posts: 7 | Location: Rio Grande City, Texas | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If an elected official chooses to violate county policy mid-budget year with an action which does not require the permission of the Commissioners Court - what are you going to do? For example, if I decide that my office hours will be 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM instead of 8:30 to 5 my employee is still working the requisite number of hours, so she cannot be docked. My salary is set with the budget and cannot be altered midyear, so they can't play with that - so - what are you going to do?

As a practical matter, many county policies are as strong as the bonds between the officials. If you have a courthouse at war, many are not actually enforceable. An injunction may be possible, however the official is in charge of the office, so it may or may not work and will definately add to courthouse tension.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post