TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Whose $?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whose $? Login/Join 
posted
We have some (about $1200) funds that have been collected under LGC 133.103

The judge thinks he has the authority to order the Commissioners court to spend the funds in this account as he sees fit. My interpretation is that he can tell them what he wants, then the commissioners get to prioritize his needs and spend the monies for those needs.

What is your take?

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like General Fund. Does the County Judge get to spend everything out of the General Fund in your County?

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In general, he and the commissioners make the decision as to where funds are spent. The commissioners are very opposed to the expenditure the judge wishes to make (a salary supplement), and the judge is threatening mandamus.

(Clarification - the county judge is not the judge wanting to spend the money...)

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I am shocked to find another Commissioners Court against a salary supplement!@#% But I am also not surprised to find an elected official who thinks he/she is the county. Since the statute uses that term and that limited standard regarding the administration of justice, I would be hard pressed to reach a conclusion different from your initial reaction.

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you; I detest being in the middle of power struggles... Roll Eyes

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

posted Hide Post
Isn't being in the middle of power struggles a duty listed in the constitutional provision creating the office of county attorney?

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post