TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Altering Budget after Final Approval
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Altering Budget after Final Approval Login/Join 
posted
On August 22, Comm. Ct. approved the County Budget (See Section 111.008 LGC). However, the Budget was not "filed" (See 111.009 LGC). The lack of filing on that date is due to the need to correct the paper version in their hands at the beginning of the meeting to reflect any final changes at that same meeting. Hearing coming up to give "final approval" and filing.
Issues have now arisen that prompt a desire to make changes to what was approved on Aug. 22.
1. I see no procedure that allows for a subsequent "final approval" agenda item at a later meeting.
2. "Filing with County Clerk" is a mere ministerial act that (I believe) can be done at a subsequent meeting to reflect changes made at the meeting which is required to occur immediately after the public hearing.
Quere: After the adoption/approval of the budget, is the only mechanism to make a change is the "Budgetary Amendment" process? My vote is yes.
Because the Comm.Ct. have placed an agenda item for "final approval" next week, they have set up a Special Meeting this week to make changes to the Budget (i.e. the kind of changes that would have been addressed/discussed during the budgetary process leading up to the meeting wherein adoption is on the table). I have convinced them to drop that meeting and simply address this matter through the budget amendment process.
Anyone deal with these issues before and/or any thoughts?

Posts: 14 | Location: Seguin, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you are on the right track. I have not faced that particular problem, but your reasoning is sound. It is the conservative answer, and least likely to create public dissention...something few commissioners courts need or want!

You done good - take a penny from petty cash!

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember also that, if the issue is simply moving money around (e.g., "Oops, we spent too much on this and not enough on that,"), the court has the power -- throughout the budget year -- under LGC sec. 111.010(d) to make budget transfers without the need of going through the rigamarole of finding an unforeseen condition constituting a grave public necessity required for a emergency amendment.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a war going on. Now the big discussion is comparing the requirements of "an emergency" vis a vis Section 111.011 LGC. What has now happened is that Budget Amendments (after a Comm.Ct. workshop) are to be prepared that alters several salaries (including lowering two salaries to get them in line with other persons in identical positions - $$ were lowered but the salary was actually a raise, just not as much), alters the hourly rate of several clerks AND added some new positions in a couple of departments. End result: if these amendments are approved, the overall expenditures for fiscal year '06-07 will be greater than the amount in the original budget. There has been no declaration of an emergency with respect to any potential budget amendment.
County Judge has set up another workshop on Friday to discuss the same issues discussed at the previous workshop. Note: none of these proposed Budget Amendments (for which there was a "concensus" at the first workshop) have been approved and whatever is done will happen at the CC meeting the last week of September. And of course, I have multiple depts. at odds who all want me backing their position. Once again, any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Posts: 14 | Location: Seguin, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post