TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Revisiting GA-0519
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revisiting GA-0519 Login/Join 
posted
I know that the legislature responded to GA-0519 (re: confidentiality of SS numbers) by amending both the government and property codes.

However, the 60 day abatement from the AG started on 2-28-06, (and therefore has now expired) and there has never been an official withdrawal of his opinion.

Considering the assumed lingering effect of GA-0519, and considering the effect of the new legislation, how are each of you advising your county clerks regarding internet access to deed records, public terminal access to deed records, etc? Do you think that all of the state and federal legal issues have been cured by the amendments.

In essence, have your counties gone back to business as usual as before the days of GA-0519?

Posts: 35 | Location: Wichita Falls, TX USA | Registered: May 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is business as usual in Colorado County.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far as access to records, we are back to "normal". However, my clerk is not accepting documents with SSNs on them.

Also - I created a form for her to use for people who want to request that numbers be redacted per the new statute. I'm probably jumping at shadows, but I anticipate trouble from those records search companies that are already driving us insane. Since we can't charge for redacting BUT can require that the person making the request give volume and page of the document(s) involved, I can see those companies charging individuals $x / document for them to get the numbers redacted. To discourage that, we require one written request per document....

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could you share the wealth?

Any other opinions on this issue?

Posts: 35 | Location: Wichita Falls, TX USA | Registered: May 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are back to business as usual, at least for now. There are a few more bills out there that could complicate the issue some more, such as HB 59. I haven't checked recently to see the status of any of those bills.

Posts: 63 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: September 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post