TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Constable fees
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Constable fees Login/Join 
posted
Excuse my laziness but I have always been under the impression that constables can not charge my office a fee for serving government papers. i.e. Protective Order. Is that actually found somewhere in the law or just a courtesy most do?

Posts: 47 | Location: Brenham, Texas | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We do not actually get a bill from the sheriff for serving our papers within the county, but in the case of a protective order, the respondent (if you are successful) should be ordered to pay the court costs, which should include cost of service. Will your constable take that as an answer, in lieu of payment?

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was not very clear-I am trying to get out of county service and the other county is trying to charge me.

Julie

Posts: 47 | Location: Brenham, Texas | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the constable is here in the great Lone Star State, he/she may not assess any fee against the applicant or you as the attorney representing the applicant, per section 81.002, Family Code. That includes any fee assessed "by a ... constable ... in connection with the filing, serving, or entering of a protective order".

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post