TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Who controls the courthouse?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who controls the courthouse? Login/Join 
posted
Anyone know what governing body of a county controls the courthouse? Is it the county judge or commissioners? Can they re-locate the county judge to a new office?

Thanks!

John

Posts: 115 | Location: Andrews, Texas | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The COunty Commissioners have control over the courthouse (Loc GOv COde 291.001)See also David Brooks treatment in his books - Sec. 5.15

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lisa, that is what I advised them, but wanted to double check. I need to keep you on speed email. Big Grin

John

Posts: 115 | Location: Andrews, Texas | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See County Commissioners Court of Dallas County v. Williams, 638 S.W.2d 218 (Tex. App.--Eastland 1982, writ den. 655 S.W.2d 205 (1983), where the question was whether the CC acted arbitrarily or without exercise of any discretion, or abused its discretion. As long as CC's decisions are based upon reason and rational choices,they're OK, even if any given work space is "less than desirable".

Posts: 36 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX 78401 | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can they re-locate the county judge to a new office?

I dunno about the Commissioners, but in Walking Tall Sheriff Pusser relocated the county judge's office... to the mens room.

Posts: 86 | Location: Floresville, TX USA | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post