TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Bidding for employee health insurance on multi-year basis
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bidding for employee health insurance on multi-year basis Login/Join 
posted
I'm packing my bags for the trek to Galveston and the Civil Law conference, so maybe someone out there can think over the following question: can a commissioners court request for bids on employee health and dental insurance on a multi-year basis? I've scanned the Constitution and Local Government Code and don't find such an exception to the "current revenues" retriction. Your input would be appreciated.

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having returned from the Galveston Civil Law seminar and visited with contracts guru Ray Rike from Tarrant County, the answer about multi-year contracts is this: It is not a "debt" for the purposes of Art. 11, Sec. 7, TX Const., if the multi-year contract reserves to the commissioners court the ability to unconditionally terminate the contract at the end of each budget period, thus keeping the obligation within the confines of "current revenues." See 813 S.W.2d 705 and 871 S.W.2d 765. Thanks, Ray.

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post