TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    House Bill 3352
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House Bill 3352 Login/Join 
posted
My County Clerk wants advice about this bill. Here's what I'm telling him; so please let me know if I'm missing something; I promised I'd check with y'all.

"If someone has been committed for longer than 72 hours (i.e., ordered to receive inpatient mental health services at the "14 day" or "probable cause" hearing) then they would be reported to DPS not later than the 30th day after the commitment. And yes, it does look like you have to go through and find all the names of the State School and BSSH and Acadia commitments since September 1, 1989.

If a mental patient has successfully removed the disability under 574.088, then that is also reported to DPS w/i 30 days.

The criminal cases would be reported to DPS by that clerk."

I also told him to contact DPS to find the contact person.

Is this really a new law, that mentally ill people can't have guns? I'm surprised, if so.

[This message was edited by Etta Warman on 11-04-09 at .]

Posts: 85 | Location: Abilene TX | Registered: March 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this is a new law, are they proposing to make it retroactive? I suppose someone who was a mental patient in 1989 could petition to have gun disability removed; still...

Posts: 85 | Location: Abilene TX | Registered: March 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please, someone chime in here!

posted Hide Post
Jean O'Shaw with DPS' Regulatory Licensing Service is very knowledgeable on the CHL laws. You might contact her. She's at HQ in Austin.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the response.