TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    county inmates indigent per se?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

county inmates indigent per se? Login/Join 
posted
My County Judge is telling me he thinks there was a bill passed this session that basically classifies all inmates as indigent for health care purposes while they are in custody unless there is a finding otherwise.....I have not been able to find such a bill. Have any of you run across this?
The thinking being is if they are indigent the medical care responsibility would fall on the shoulders of the hospital district....currently, the county pays a reduced rate to the hospital district for inmate care.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't looked for any such provision, but I haven't heard about it, either. I have trouble believing anything like that would sail through without TAC having a conniption. If inmate status automatically conferred indigent status, every inmate in the jail would per se be entitled to county-funded appointed counsel. Wonder if that had crossed the judge's mind.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing....I looked for quite a while but did not come up with any info....if you run across something, please let me know.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am guessing your judge is thinking of HB 2454. The bill relates to state reimbursement for inmate health care.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us...Sess=83R&Bill=HB2454

This message has been edited. Last edited by: A. Diamond,

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post